Meet Dr. Lincoln Parkes
The introduction of carts began with the interest and efforts of an orthopedic veterinary surgeon, Dr. Lincoln Parkes. While at the Animal Medical Center in New York City, Dr. Parkes realized that disabled pets faced a dismal future. Thus the idea for the K-9 Cart was born. Dr. Parkes remains the owner and in his quest to improve his design over the years is the holder of several patents for K-9 Carts. The original objective was to provide a lightweight, adjustable device of simple design that would allow paraplegic animals to walk with minimal stress and maximal maneuverability. This objective has not changed in forty-five years.
In 1998, K-9 Cart Company was divided into two separate companies - K-9 Cart Company East and West. In 2004, a new lightweight tubular aluminum design was introduced and is now being marketed East of the Mississippi by K-9 Cart Company East. Research and development to upgrade K9 Carts and the development of new products is ongoing by K-9 Cart Company East. With the aid of a K-9 cart, the disabled animal has been given a new found freedom and joy for both the owner and the pets by allowing a more normal life.
Carts are custom-made, with adjustment allowance, for each animal based on measurements received (See "Measuring Your Pet" in the side bar). Strong, lightweight materials are used in the design, and special attention is made in the assembly to achieve proper balance with padding to ensure comfort while increasing the ease of mobility. The carts are designed to make elimination possible and, in fact, often stimulate elimination while using the cart. It is most rewarding in mind and body to see the wounded member of the family return to mobility. Lincoln Parkes
At K-9 Cart Company East, Dr. Parkes, now retired from veterinary surgery, still tends to the daily ever changing challenges presented by each disabled animal. Don't be surprised if you call and find him answering the phone. Our goal at K-9 Cart Company East will always be to provide the best mobility alternative for your pet. Our professional background in veterinary medicine and cart designing of 45+ years provides an unmatched opportunity to serve both the mobility needs and medical advice for your disable friends.Did You Know?
- Dr. Parkes received his DVM from Colorado State University and was one of the first veterinarians to complete an internship and residency in veterinary surgery.
- Dr. Parkes opened the first private veterinary orthopedic specialty practice in the US.
- Dr. Parkes was one of the first veterinarians trained in the AO Foundation method of internal fixation of fractures.
- Dr. Parkes has performed over 3000 spine surgeries in his career.
- Dr. Parkes was the winner of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Kappa Delta/OREF Clinical Research Award.
- The K9 Cart Logo was designed by Ted Keys. Ted Keys was the cartoonist of the Hazel comic strip. He was a neighbor of Dr. Parkes in Valley Forge PA.